Basic Salary: £19,000 prorated
Contract: Term Time Only
Core Hours: 20 hours per week, Monday – Friday 2pm – 6pm
Benefits: Company Pension, Life Assurance, Employee Discount Scheme
Location: Battle, Sussex
ISP School is a Special Educational Needs School that has been established in Kent for over 20 years. Renown for working with vulnerable children with a wide range of complex needs from 7 to 16 years. Our mission is to provide each pupil with a diverse and appropriate education in a safe, supportive environment that promotes self-discipline and engagement, inspires learning and encourages aspiration and achievement.
We have expanded our Special Educational Needs provision by opening a new school with a full capacity of 60 pupils in Battle, East Sussex. The school is located within a country estate, with visually stunning surrounds. If you would like to find out more about our School please visit our website https://ispschools.org.uk/
We are looking to recruit a School Caretaker. The main purpose of the role is to be responsible for the maintenance, security and cleanliness of the school premises and site. Represent the school in dealing with contractors and suppliers involved in the repair and upkeep of the building and site.
- Maintaining clean, safe and secure school premises, which includes building and grounds;
- Carrying out cleaning, handy person activities, routine maintenance and refurbishment, porterage, and minor repairs;
- Some supervision of school cleaning staff;
- Promoting health and safety around the school
- Carry out porterage duties, such as moving furniture and equipment around the school
- Maintain the general school premises, furniture and fittings, and reporting any issues to the Head Teacher
- Carry out small repairs and DIY projects
- Arrange larger repairs and obtain quotes from contractors
- Carry out daily cleaning and ad-hoc duties, such as litter picking and arranging the disposal of waste
- Carry out emergency cleaning duties, such as gritting and cleaning up spillages
- Arrange an annual deep clean of classrooms, staffrooms, kitchen, dining areas, food tech areas and other frequently used spaces on school premises
- Take responsibility of the maintenance of cleaning tools and products, including arranging replacements and ensuring good stock levels
- Maintain the security of the school premises as the main key holder
- Lock and unlock the premises as required, including out of schools hours when necessary
- Check at the end of the school day that all windows, doors and gates are locked, lights switched off, and gas and electrical appliances are turned off
- Set security alarm systems, report any potential security breaches, and respond to any alarms or other call outs following agreed procedures
- Carry out regular checks of CCTV and alarm systems, locks, fire safety appliances, security gates and perimeter fencing, and ensure any necessary repairs are actioned
- Advise the Head Teacher on all matters relating to school security and safety Ensure a safe working and learning environment in accordance with relevant legislation
- Carry out and record regular health and safety checks, including on legionella risk, play equipment, safety equipment, and any hazards on school premises, report any problems to the Head Teacher
- Provide safe access to the school in cold weather conditions
- Level 2 Award in Support Work in Schools
- Previous caretaking experience within a school environment
- Previous experience of building maintenance
- Previous experience of security including alarm systems
- Good knowledge and understanding of health and safety regulations
- Basic DIY Skills
- Good Interpersonal skills to protect the school’s interests in dealing with contractors and other visitors to the site
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- Ability to work in an environment with SEMH children
- Must be willing to undergo an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check prior to commencing work. Any costs incurred will be met by ISP.
The successful candidate will be required to complete an enhanced DBS Check, cost of which will be met by ISP School Battle.
ISP School Battle is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates.
ISP School Battle is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment