POLARIS CHILDREN'S SERVICES
Basic salary: Up to £35,000
Benefits: 30 days' Annual Leave (rising to 35 days' with length of service) + Bank Holidays, Company Car, Furnished Accommodation, Relocation Costs, Company Pension, Life Assurance x2 & Employee Discount Scheme
Location: Falkland Islands
Covering Location: South Atlantic Islands
Polaris Children’s Services are an established children’s services provider that delivers innovative and outcomes-based services, offering real value and building brighter futures for as many children, young people and families as possible.
British Forces Social Work Service (BFSWS) deliver Statutory and non-statutory type services in line with UK Social Work practice to: Europe, Kenya, Canada, Belize, USA, Saudi Arabia, British Forces South Atlantic Islands (BFSAI), Gibraltar, Singapore and British Indian Ocean territories (BIOT). The personnel eligible for services come from the whole force, i.e. military personnel, civil servants, contractors and families.
BFSAI includes the Falkland Islands, Ascension Islands, Sandwich Islands and South Georgia.
Requirements for Social Worker – South Atlantic Islands. Worker based in Falkland Islands.
- BA(Hons)/Dip SW/in Social Work or equivalent
- Experience of complex Children and family assessments and case management
- Experience of risk assessment and safety planning
- Experience of direct work with children, young people or adults at risk
- Full valid driving license
- Registration with Social Work England or equivalent body with significant prior Social Work experience
- Experience of Adult at risk assessments and Adult mental health
- Delivering Safeguarding Training and general presentations
Responsibilities for Social Worker – Living and working in Falkland Islands.
- To practice in line with the Professional Standards for Social Work England
- To demonstrate expert and effective practice in complex situations, assessing and managing higher levels of risk, striking a balance between support and control, liaising with a wide range of professionals, including MOD personnel and all partner agencies based in the South Atlantic Islands including Falkland Island Government.
- To provide consultation and short term work to adults in relation to crisis intervention. Adults struggling to manage issues such as isolation, mental health, alcohol issues etc.
- Manage complex caseloads, Child Protection (support to FIG), Child in Need and Early Help and offer expert opinion and consultation within the organisation and to others.
- To deliver a duty service at initial contact with the service – including consultation, provision of advice & guidance and sign posting.
- Attend Child in Need/Core Group meetings arranged by the host nation authorities. On occasion, co-ordinate BFSWS child in need meetings. To provide expert assessment and planning reports to child protection conferences and adult safeguarding meetings.
- Attend and be a member of the Children’s Safeguarding Board (FIG), Adult Safeguarding Board (FIG), Children and Adult’s Safeguarding Board (BFSAI) and School Governors Committee
- Attend and be a member of various other in-service Committees
- Provide welfare support and visits to mountain sites and Ascension Island
- To provide subject matter expert advice to the MOD chain of command on a range of issues.
- Out of hours support to the command
Benefits for Social Worker – Living and working in Falkland Islands.
- Full time, permanent position for the duration of the contract
- Furnished accommodation provided and relocation costs provided
- Vehicle provided for work use
- Salary up to £35,000 per annum
- Annual leave starting at 30 days rising to 35 days (plus bank holidays) in line with service
- Contributory pension scheme
- Medical/Dental cover
- Education for primary aged children only
- Exchange/Discount voucher scheme
- Manageable case load
- Opportunity to actively contribute and develop Social Work practice and Policy & Procedures
- Monthly supervision and regular management oversight of cases
For an informal discussion about this post please contact Lynne Fedden on 0044 (0) 808 168 3111.
To be considered, please submit an application and someone will be in touch to discuss.
Due to the current lockdown restrictions, all interviews at this time will be held virtually via Microsoft Teams, and all appointments managed pragmatically in line with individual and company needs.