One-To-One Teaching Assistant
Contract: Fixed Term (1 year) Full-Time Term Time Only
Basic Salary: FTE £20,158 - £21,971.75 prorated (£17,290 - £18,845) (£10.97 per hour)
Benefits: Company Pension, Life Assurance, Employee Discount Scheme
Location: Foxton, Cambridge
Start date: Immediate Start
About our School
Selwyn Hall School is a new SEN school in Foxton, South West of Cambridge, which provides specialist education for 7-18 year olds with social, emotional, and mental health difficulties (SEMH). Our pupils may have a number of diagnoses including: ASD, ADHD, FASD, anxiety and/or, communication and interaction, cognition, and learning needs. Our small bespoke groupings of 4-6 children ensure that every pupil receives the individual attention they need to succeed.
The school is situated within large private grounds to create a therapeutic environment that enables us to focus on the health and wellbeing of the pupils. We have space for a range of outdoor learning experiences including forest school, a multi-use sports pitch, sensory trail, conservation area and play equipment. Inside, the building has been completely refurbished and offers a range of classrooms and activity rooms including science, computing, music, drama and Art/DT.
We are part of the Polaris Community and have been passionately improving the lives of young people for over 30 years. Within the Polaris Community we have six SEN schools across the UK who work together to provide each pupil with a tailored, diverse and appropriate education in a safe, supportive environment that promotes engagement, inspires learning and encourages achievement. All of our provisions are rated Good or Outstanding by Ofsted.
- Dedicated to mentoring and supporting one pupil or else a small group of no more than six pupils
- Supporting the Classroom Teacher during lessons
- Reporting on pupils’ progress and concerns, and liaising with other School staff to ensure pupils needs are met
- Supervision of pupils during non-classroom time including extra-curricular activities and school trips
- Assisting with lesson planning and classroom preparation
- Setting work where appropriate, and marking
- Building positive relationships with your pupil/s and driving interaction and positive learning outcomes
- Have a strong basic education, ideally to A-level, with a minimum of GCSE Grade C or equivalent in English Language and Mathematics, and sound IT skills.
- Previous experience in a similar role ie, Teaching Assistant
- Some previous experience of working with pupils with SEMH within an Educational setting
- Be experienced and confident enough to take additional responsibility in an area of school ie, Food Hygiene, Forest School, Lunchtimes, School Yoga etc..
- Experience of behaviour management and techniques
- Committed to professional development and willing to learn
- Must be willing to undergo an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check prior to commencing work.
What we offer
- A workplace that values the emotional health and wellbeing of everybody (you included!)
- A commitment to support your development in acquiring new skills through a wide range of professional opportunities
- An opportunity to make a huge contribution to the lives and lifelong learning of vulnerable children who deserve high quality teaching in a safe educational provision
- A friendly and inclusive team who are passionate about improving pupil outcomes
The successful candidate will be required to complete an enhanced DBS Check, cost of which will be met by Selwyn Hall School.
Selwyn Hall School is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates.
Selwyn Hall School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment